* Lyn Soeder was our guest speaker at the May meeting of the ACBA. As part of her presentation, Lyn recommended an excellent resource for information about plants that are friendly for bees and beekeepers...check it out.
* RAFFLE WINNER!
* Congratulations to beekeeper and ACBA treasurer, Liam Jerkins who was the winner of the complete 10 frame hive made by Randy Baldwin at the regular meeting raffle drawing on May 9...
* Thanks to everyone who purchased a raffle ticket, or tickets, to help with funds for our ACBA!
* The June regular meeting of the ACBA will be a "cookout, shop tour, demonstrations and bee supplies for sale at HS Greens's Hidden Happiness Bee Farm located at 1106 Chestnut Mountain Rd, Deep Gap,NC 28618.
* Send Maggie McClelland an e-mail below and include a head count of attendees as well as the pot luck side dish you plan to bring to the cookout...
* Alternatively, you can call Maggie at 336-982-4104.
* The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on May 9, 2019 beginning @ 7:00 PM...in support of early arrivals, there will be food as well as a Q&A session, if desired.
* Lyn Soeder is our guest speaker; her topic is bee-friendly plants. To say she's multi-talented is an understatement! We’re excited to have her talk about bee-friendly plants, and not only will she be talking about them, she’ll also be selling some! Click on the below downloadable files: first attachment for flowers, shrubs and trees, the second for tomatoes. Tomato plants are $3/each; prices vary for the rest.IMPORTANT!!! If you’d like to order something from Lyn’s lists, you must contact HER (email@example.com) before noon on Thursday so she’ll know to bring your item(s) to the meeting.
* Meetings are always held on the 2nd Thursday of the month at the Ashe County Agricultural Center Office (click to open a map, if needed), located at 134 Government Center Drive in Jefferson, NC.
Other important news for the meeting:
* The drawing of the raffle for a hive built by Randy Baldwin, a 7-frame or 10-frame hive (winner's choice), will be held at the conclusion of the meeting.
*HS will have swarm catchers available for purchase, and pick up a free swarm lure and the recipe print out when you arrive.
* As in prior years, the ACBA is making a host of information available to both our members and others visiting our website of many important resources. Click here to open/read/print a document that can be utilized all year to make your own beekeeping efforts successful.
* Thanks in advance for your participation in ACBA and for helping to make sure it continues to assist local beekeepers and our bees, wherever possible.
* * * * *
Raffle tickets for the complete hive (built by Randy Baldwin) will be available thru the end of the meeting Thursday, at which time the drawing will be held! You do not need to be present to win; however, the winner will have a say in how a few parts of the hive are finished, and Randy will be on hand to discuss options. Ticket prices: $5/each, 3/$10. Many thanks to Doug Ehrhardt for once again providing us with beautiful raffle tickets!
* * * * *
If you haven’t already paid your dues, Liam will be taking those up.
ACBA membership: $10 - individual, $15 - family.
NCSBA (optional): $15/person. New dues and renewals can be made online.
* * * * *
Door prizes will be given away. If you’d like to donate something for a door prize, let Maggie know, or just bring it!
* * * * *
Our June meeting (13th) will be a cookout at Hidden Happiness Bee Farm! H.S. Greene will prepare hot dogs and hamburgers, and members will provide sides, condiments, desserts, etc. Please contact Maggie at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 10 to RSVP and to sign up for an item to bring (a reminder with more info and directions will be sent out. You can also find directions on the HHBF web site). If you haven’t been to H.S.’ bee farm store, this is a great opportunity! It’s beautifully done.
Parties in Watauga interested in beekeeping, the Allegheny bee group's evening meetings have been changed to the second Tuesday of the month, beginning in March.
- H.S. Greene is now taking applications for a beginner beekeeping course that will be held in 2019.
The six week course will Include beekeeping history, honey bee biology, pests and diseases, colony management, colony observation, hands on wooden ware assembly, beekeeping choices for optimum equipment acquisition and use. Apiary visits for students at HHBF per schedule with signed waver of liability.
- NCSBA Master Beekeeper Program Certified Level written beekeeper exam will be offered to qualified students on the last class day. The Certified Level Practical exam will be offered in July, 2019.
- Price per student including text: $140.00
Need more information?
An Intermediate Beekeeping Class started on September 10th. Classes are held at Wilkes Community College/Ashe. Classes from 6-9 PM each Monday. For more information on ways to register, call Becky Greer - 336-903-3117 or email - email@example.com.