The How-To Festival will be held at the Ashe County Library on Saturday (July 14) from 11-3. ACBA will have a table under a tree; we had fun last year and are eager to share bee info again with some very thoughtful kids (and adults)! If you can help the entire time or even a part of the time, please let Helen Baldwin know - any and all help will be greatly appreciated! We could probably use another folding table if anyone who comes happens to have one.
AppState professor of computer science and ACBA member, James Wilkes is featured in a post about the university starting a program to teach about the importance of bees...
* The regular meeting of the Ashe County Beekeeping Association was held on April 12, 2018 at the Agriculture Extension Office in Jefferson, NC.
* Jim Miles was the speaker who talked about hive splitting.
* The 'hive open house' scheduled for this Saturday at Maggie McClelland’s house will not be held due to inclement weather!
* Stay tuned for information on a date and time if it will be rescheduled.
* Everyone's important topic for the start of a new year of beekeeping!!
* In the case of the Hidden Happiness Bee Farm (H.S. Greene), their nuc delivery is scheduled for the third week in April. The cost/nuc is $160.50. For more info, contact H.S. Greene at 336-957-0275 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* James Wilkes’ son, Sullivan, is selling nucs. Links to the form for getting on the waiting list and Sullivan’s contact info are highlighted below....
From: James Wilkes re: Nuc form - Faith Mountain Farm
* Here is a link to a form for getting on a waiting list for nucs from Sullivan. Here are the details outlined in the form:
- Enter information to be added to our waiting list.
- We expect to have nucs available for pick up between April 16 and May 14 from our farm in Creston, NC or a mutually agreeable location.
- Exact dates and times to be determined.
- Cost is $175 per nuc and will be in an EZ Nuc box.
- No guarantee of availability, but we will communicate as soon as possible as things progress. Contact Sullivan Wilkes, email@example.com or 828-434-0066 with questions.
* To open/complete the form to get on a waiting list, copy this link and paste to your browser: https://goo.gl/forms/YJ5iq4LY6e8DZfAI2
* The final, regular business meeting of the Ashe County Beekeepers Association was held on October 14, 2017 at which time Greg Fariss, NC State Beekeeper for counties including Ashe, spoke on winter hive preparations...thanks, Greg. Before his remarks, Julia Houck, County Executive Director of the USDA Farm Service Agency briefly described a program for small farmers, including beekeepers to receive funding for losses due to various circumstances. Open the meeting minutes here.
* At the end of the meeting, raffle and door prizes were awarded, as follows:
- Jeff Taylor was the recipient of the raffle for the anniversary mini-hive made by H.S. Greene...it was mini-hive # 7 and represents the seven years that the ACBA has been in existence.
Other door prizes:
- Raven Pruitt - Queen Catcher
- Jeff Taylor - hive tool
- Paulette Lawrence - smoker fuel
- Julie Smith - ACBA Hat
- Shirley Long - tee shirt
- Liam Jerkins - jar of candy
- Doug Galloway - jar of candy
- Greg Lyon - queen catcher
- David Tanner - Oxalic Acid kit
* The ACBA November meeting will be the final meeting in 2017. Click here for information.