* The regular meeting of the ACBA was held on June 11, 2015 at the Ashe County Agriculture Center in Jefferson, NC.
* The evening program featured several YouTube videos dealing with hive swarming that were presented by Program Director, Joy Lewis.
* Minutes of the meeting can be read here: 6/11/15 Meeting Minutes.
* The regular meeting of the Ashe County Beekeepers Association held on April 9, 2015 was treated to an extremely educational session by Doug Vinson, Regional Director of the Mountain Region, NCSBA.
* Doug's presentation "Summer splits: timing and techniques for mite load reduction, colony manipulations to interrupt Varroa mites" can be read here: Regular Meeting Minutes, 5/14/15.
* The evening meeting lasted well past 8:30 PM and didn't allow for any Q&A discussion by the 10 members and guests in attendance.
* Thank you Doug for a great meeting!
* The regular meeting of the Ashe County Beekeepers Association held on April 9, 2015 was treated to an extremely educational session by Jim Miles on two topics: swarming and splitting of hives.
* The evening included a lively Q&A discussion by the 26 members and guests in attendance.
* Thank you Jim for a great meeting!
At the end of the meeting, a raffle was held for the members and guests present to select from a collection of four beekeeping books that were donated by Fowler Bush.
Eugene Brown, NCSBA Freshman Mountain Regional Director and Program Chair of the Surry County Beekeepers (R), presents Randy Baldwin, ACBA President his certificate for completing all requirements to be recognized as a Journeyman Beekeeper.
* Each of the regular 2015 ACBA meetings will be prefaced with a variety of short topics/information (to be announced). There will be some workshops, and hands on opportunities for new beekeeper's throughout the summer as well (to be announced).
- March - Bee Aware team from Boone Bee Club.
- April - Jim Miles, if available. Topic: Hive splitting and Q&A's from group.
- May - Methods on how to catch swarms, fielding Q&A's from beekeepers in the meeting.
- June - Panel and sharing differing likes of equipment used, possibly with some show and tell.
- July - James Wilkes. Topic: diseases and treatments.
- August - Joy Lewis. Topic: use of Essential Oils.
- September - Member show and tell: Readying hives / winter preparations.
- October - Beekeeping Bazaar.
- November - Elections and Association pot luck meal together.
* The 2014-2015 Colony Loss and National Management Survey is being conducted now; beekeepers are encouraged to visit the site and enter your data.
* This survey is important to help determine the status and health of bees in our world.
* The last regular meeting of the ACBA in 2014 was held on November 13, 2014. Like last year, the final gathering of members and guests featured a wonderful pot-luck meal with dishes provided by the association, as well shared sides and desserts brought by members.
* Out-going President Harry Galer (right) welcomed everyone to the evening and shared information about the slate of officers to be voted on at the end of the evening's activities.
* Several items - hats, shirts and a 1-year subscription to Hive Tracks (Pro) donated by James Wilkes - were also raffled to members present.
Open the thumbnail photographs to the right to see a few of the wonderful desserts that were on display, and later eaten!